Youth Outreach Worker
Stop Exploiting Youth Program - Surrey
Regular Full Time (35 hours/week) (Grid 13)
PCRS is a long-standing, award-winning not-for-profit that serves the most vulnerable people in the Province of B.C. We believe that helping the most marginalized individuals and families will raise the health and well-being of the communities we serve. Our vision is to see everyone thriving in strong, healthy communities, and our mission is to inspire healthy and inclusive communities through leadership and collaboration. We value advocacy, diversity and inclusion, empowerment, service excellence, stewardship, and well-being. We have been recognized for placing a high value on work-life balance. Our Employee Family Assistance Program has a full preventative health program including nutrition awareness, stress reduction, and tools to assist our staff with maintaining work-life balance. We take care of our people who take care of the people we serve.
PCRS requires an experienced outreach youth worker for the Stop Exploiting Youth Program (SEY) which operates as part of the Surrey Youth Resource Centres. SEY workers provide immediate outreach response and support services to “At-Risk/High Risk” youth identified by MCFD or other community partners as being in sexually exploitive situations. Workers establish relationships and rapport with youth and offer immediate response services to situations involving youth sexual exploitation, locating missing youth, and assist in the development of wrap-around service plans. Workers will offer education about human trafficking and sexual exploitation to youth and professionals as needed. Applicants should have experience being a part of multidisciplinary care teams and have a strong background in collaborative planning.
Hours are based on a flexible schedule as required but will primarily cover early afternoon until mid-evening as there may be a need for earlier or later hours depending upon circumstances; offering support at key times a day and/or evening and coordinating others to assist when the case manager is not available. The schedule may vary at any time between the hours of 9:00 am to 11:00 pm.
Academic and Job Experience Required:
B.A. in a related field plus 1-year related experience, or a Child and Youth Care Diploma plus 2 years’ experience or a combination of related work experience/education with at-risk/high-risk youth.
- Criminal record check including the vulnerable sector
- Standard first-aid certificate and CPR
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License, with business insurance
- Use of own vehicle (with reimbursement)
- Clean Driver’s Abstract
- Sound judgement and effective interpersonal skills
- Clear and concise communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong understanding of youth sexual exploitation and strategies to assist these youth with positive relationships and healthy lifestyle choices
- Strong understanding of challenges faced by youth in care and MCFD systems
- Familiarity with trauma-informed practices
- Solution-focused and addictions counselling training
- Mental health, sexual abuse and depression/suicide/co-occurring disorder training
- Rhea Gabor, Supervisor, Stop Exploiting Youth Program
Salary Range: $24.01/hour – $27.33/hour, Plus benefit package (100% employer-paid)
Closing Date: July 10, 2020, at 4:30 p.m.
“PCRS fosters an environment that ensures a sense of belonging, dignity, and respect. We welcome applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and all abilities.”