Housing Support Worker
Annis Residence - Chilliwack
Regular Part-time (17.5 hours/wk) (Grid 13)
* Saturday and Sunday shifts
PCRS is a long-standing, award-winning not-for-profit that serves the most vulnerable people in the Province of B.C. We believe that helping the most marginalized individuals and families will raise the health and well-being of the communities we serve. Our vision is to see everyone thriving in strong, healthy communities, and our mission is to inspire healthy and inclusive communities through leadership and collaboration. We value advocacy, diversity and inclusion, empowerment, service excellence, stewardship, and well-being. We have been recognized for placing a high value on work-life balance. Our Employee Family Assistance Program has a full preventative health program including nutrition awareness, stress reduction, and tools to assist our staff with maintaining a work-life balance. We take care of our people who take care of the people we serve.
The Housing Support Worker is a member of the Annis Residence team and is responsible for the direct care of participants living in this adult supportive housing program. The Housing Support Worker will support and work alongside the residents of Annis Residence to stabilize their current housing and approach other identified life goals. This position requires an understanding of poverty and housing, substance use and mental health.
• Offer both insight and practical goal-focused counselling strategies while maintaining a safe and respectful environment for participants
• Perform program administrative tasks as delegated by the Supervisor, including case note documentation, Critical Incident reporting, goal-planning
• Complete basic assessments and develop service goals in collaboration with the participant
• When required, develop, implement and facilitate group sessions that are relevant to local needs; sessions could include co-leadership with other staff, volunteers or peer counsellors or other community professionals
• Act as a positive role model and assist participants in developing values of honesty, self-assertiveness, and respect for others, a democratic viewpoint, and a lack of dependency on drugs, alcohol and self-abusive and destructive behaviour.
• Maintain health and safety of self, participants and community; manage problematic behaviour and emergencies according to agency policy and practice.
• Maintains good safety practices and a preventative approach
• Must be able to work weekends and evenings. Not a Monday-Friday day job
Academic and Job Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s degree in Social work or other fields plus one years’ experience, or Bachelor’s degree in Child and Youth Care or relevant discipline plus one year’s direct experience. Substance use/Addiction counselling training. A combination of experience and education is considered.
• Experience supporting the vulnerable adult population with housing, accessing services within a biopsychosocial–spiritual framework.
• Criminal records check including the vulnerable sector
• Proof of being fully Vaccinated for Covid 19
• Standard First Aid and CPR
• Class 5 Driver’s License; Use of own vehicle
• Driver's abstract must be submitted
• Knowledge of trauma and the effects of trauma, trauma-informed practice
• Experience with Brain-Based Disorders, such as FASD, brain injury, psychoses
• Experience with Concurrent Mental Health issues
• Substance Use training / Harm Reduction approach
• Non-Violent Crisis Intervention or MANDT certification
Serene Mumford, Annis Residence
Salary Range: $25.71/hour – $28.43/hour
Closing Date: Friday, December 10, 2021, at 4:00 pm
Offer of employment is conditional upon the applicant providing us with proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19
"Pacific Community Resources Society is committed to diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from people of all gender identities and expressions, persons with disabilities, Indigenous peoples and visible minorities. Persons who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact our H.R. department at email@example.com. Personal information will be kept confidential."