Youth Support Worker
Traverse Program - Chilliwack
Regular Full Time (35 hours/week) (Flexible Hours are required) (Grid 13)
PCRS is a long-standing, award-winning not-for-profit that serves the most vulnerable people in the Province of B.C. We believe that helping the most marginalized individuals and families will raise the health and well-being of the communities we serve. Our vision is to see everyone thriving in strong, healthy communities, and our mission is to inspire healthy and inclusive communities through leadership and collaboration. We value advocacy, diversity and inclusion, empowerment, service excellence, stewardship, and well-being. We have been recognized for placing a high value on work-life balance. Our Employee Family Assistance Program has a full preventative health program including nutrition awareness, stress reduction, and tools to assist our staff with maintaining a work-life balance. We take care of our people who take care of the people we serve.
The Youth Support Worker works as part of a large multi-disciplinary team that provides treatment for substance use for youth (13-18) in a residential setting. This position would require a combination of daytime and evening shifts, both during the week and on the weekend. The team works within the strategic objectives of the Pacific Community Resources Society (PCRS) to ensure the provision of effective and efficient services to our participants. As a treatment team member, the YSW will utilize trauma-informed practice to provide primary care, case planning, and respond to the youth's emotional and practical needs.
Primary Duties (Day / Evening):
- Support the program's daily activities through trauma-informed practice, care of participants, case planning, transitions, and discharges.
- Participate in setting attainable expectations for each participant and supporting the achievement of identified goals.
- Participate in case conferences/meetings with team members to identify and manage youth mental health and substance abuse issues.
- Collaborate with the team to facilitate the management of cases; coordinate care using a supportive case management approach within harm reduction principles.
- In coordination with clinical and recreational staff, support relevant group programming.
- Develop and plan activities that align with programming philosophies
- Dispense medication in accordance with medical direction
- Transport participants to appointments and activities as required
- Other related duties as required
- Provide support to participant's families
- Communicate effectively with coworkers and staff, and participate in team efforts
Academic and Job Experience Required:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant discipline, Bachelor's degree in an unrelated discipline plus one years' direct experience or Child and Youth Care Diploma, Child and Youth Justice Diploma, Community Social Services Diploma plus two years' experience.
- A sound understanding is required regarding the impact of trauma, both normal and delayed or problematic development behaviours and barriers, impulsivity, attachment issues, FASD, ADHD, the effects of abuse and how this relates to substance abuse.
- Criminal Record Check including the vulnerable sector
- Tuberculosis and medical clearance
- Current standard first aid certificate
- Class 5 Driver's license with business use insurance
- Use of own vehicle required (Mileage is paid)
- Driver's abstract
- Proof of COVID Vaccination
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Youth Support Worker Team Lead, Traverse Program
Salary Range: $25.71/hour – $28.43/hour, Plus benefit package (100% employer-paid)
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
"PCRS fosters an environment that ensures a sense of belonging, dignity, and respect. We welcome applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and all abilities."