Community Work Service Worker
Surrey Youth Resource Centre
Term Full Time (35 hours/week) (Grid 13) (Four-Month Term)
PCRS is a long-standing, award-winning not-for-profit that serves the most vulnerable people in the Province of B.C. We believe that helping the most marginalized individuals and families will raise the health and well-being of the communities we serve. Our vision is to see everyone thriving in strong, healthy communities, and our mission is to inspire healthy and inclusive communities through leadership and collaboration. We value advocacy, diversity and inclusion, empowerment, service excellence, stewardship, and well-being. We have been recognized for placing a high value on work-life balance. Our Employee Family Assistance Program has a full preventative health program including nutrition awareness, stress reduction, and tools to assist our staff with maintaining work-life balance. We take care of our people who take care of the people we serve.
The primary role of the Community Work Service Worker is to provide youth with opportunities to complete court-ordered community work service hours. The Worker will secure placements for youth, provide support to youth, document hours and provide feedback to Probation Officers. This position requires an understanding of the Criminal Youth Justice Act and experience working with youth on probation. This position also involves community outreach, marketing, working with funders and experience in life skills training. A solid ability to use initiative and to function independently is also required.
Hours must be flexible to accommodate participant schedules. The specific hours and days of the week can be negotiated between the Worker and Manager to meet both the needs of the program and the Worker.
1) Youth Support:
- Assess the youth's skills and abilities to ensure successful completion of community work service hours
- Develop and monitor plans, in collaboration with youth, for successful program completion
- Provide one-to-one support
2) Community Outreach/Public Relations/Advocacy:
- Collaboration with the Manager, other PCRS staff, and community identifies key community agencies and individuals to connect with and share information regarding community work service placements.
- Provide written and verbal communication to Probation Officers and other officials regarding the outcome or status of community work service hours.
- Liaise with referring and other professionals, agencies, the community and the youth's family and friends, as needed
3) Administrative and Financial:
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings, planning meetings, committee meetings, as required
- Maintain files, case notes and reports according to agency standards
- Maintain petty cash and mileage records according to the financial policies of the agency
- Provide backup administrative support for SYRC as required
4) To Maintain Health and Safety:
- Handle emergencies safely and following agency policy.
- Maintain good safety practices and a preventative approach.
- Understand the stresses of the job and take steps to prevent personal burn-out.
- Adhere to the Working Alone policy, checking in and out and advising staff of appointment locations at all times.
Academic and Job Experience Required:
B.A. in a related field plus one year experience, OR Child and Youth Care Diploma plus two years experience OR a combination of related work experience and education with at-risk or multi-barrier population.
- Criminal Records Check including the vulnerable sector
- Standard First Aid and CPR
- High level of computer knowledge and skills
- High level of communication skills, both verbal and written
- Sexual Abuse Training
- ACT Training
- Working knowledge of the Youth Criminal Justice Act
- Crisis Intervention and De-escalation Training/Nonviolent Communication Certification
- Solution Focused/Motivational Interviewing Training
- Learning Disabilities Training including FASD, ADHD, Early Childhood Education, Special Needs
- Depression/Suicide/Mental Health Assessment Training
- Life Skills Certificate
- Trauma-Informed Practice
- Certifications in Recreation, Personal Training or Arts
- Becky Majoor, Program Supervisor, Community Work Service
Salary Range: $25.71/hour – $28.43/hour, plus 10.2% pay in lieu of vacation and benefits
Closing Date: Open until position is filled.
"PCRS fosters an environment that ensures a sense of belonging, dignity, and respect. We welcome applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and all abilities."